Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Lent

The season of Lent is upon us once again, and it is that time of year where we put away foolish things and strive to become closer to Jesus.

All my life I've tried to do something drastic and very difficult for lent, from giving up meat (the one food group I actually like), to giving up television (which is ALWAYS on in the background, to the hardest one last year, I gave up Facebook. I realized the amount of time I wasted on Facebook just took away from my productivity, and made me generally miserable. It was an addiction that I needed to break.

While most years I try to do something different, I really think that leaving Facebook for 40 days is the most challenging thing I've ever done for lent, and I've decided that I'm going to take another running stab at it.

After Easter of last year, it was amazing how free I felt from my addiction to browsing on Facebook. I've come to the realization that it is just as bad now as it was this time last year, and that somehow I had become dependent on it once again.

It was a real learning experience for me and so I believe that it is time for me to do this challenge for a second year in a row.

As well, I want to make a promise myself to use my free time to try and at least twice a week, spend some time in discernment of what God has planned for my life. Perhaps spend more time in Adoration.

This is an opportunity to get closer to God and to take a step away from all the things I've been wasting my time with.

This should be a fun journey.

-Tay

No comments:

Post a Comment