Pages

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Television Addiction

I'm sure everyone else has ha those moments where you get really into a tv show and so all you do is watch every single episode in rapid succession? Yup, I'm there.

In the past 3 weeks I've made it to season 5 of 7 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I think I like the strong female role model who isn't helpless an defenseless. She's not a damsel in distress and she doesn't have to wait for a guy to come and save her, she can do it all on her own.

Plus, while I never thought about it the first time around (because I never thought it needed saying) the vampires are portrayed as the bad guys. As they should be. Vampires are evil creatures who have no soul, they burst into flames if the sun hits them, and they aren't lovey dovey. They are demons.

Granted in the show there are exceptions, but they have really valid and plausible explanations! Not saying I condone them, but it's just a little better than "I love you" vampires who sparkle.

There's also the whole thing about James Marster's character of Spike, who has so many hilarious lines. I really liked Angel when I started re-watching the show, but Spike is by far the funniest character. It's hard to watch the episodes late at night and not burst out laughing.

Things are getting a little funny though, I think it's odd that in a show that's from the 90s there would be such a strong homosexual message considering how taboo it would have been for the time. That's just starting up now and it's a little weird. Okay, a lot weird. Leave it to Joss to push the envelope of the time.



No comments:

Post a Comment