Pages

Friday, December 14, 2012

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

That's right, I've just come home from watching the midnight screening of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. It was at the higher frame rate and in 3D.

This review will not have any spoilers so long as you've seen the original trailer for the film.

Alright, so down to business. So for the last number of months some friends of mine have come to me with questions, mostly about the way the Hobbit will be set up. Knowing my passion for all things middle earth, I did my best to explain what I could such as what the higher frame rate would mean in the context of the movie and such.

However a number of questions and opinions that were asked of me, I replied that I simply did not know. I didn't want to go into watching these films with a yay or nay attitude and I certainly did not want to pre-judge it before seeing it. However, now that I have seen it, it's fair to say I'm ready to make a few calls.

The first thing I would like to point out, is that this movie is not The Lord of the Rings. Yes, it's the same author, they're part of the same franchise, and the films have many reprising roles, but try are not, nor have they ever been the same.

Tolkien himself wrote the two stories to be completely different, to target a different generation with the plots, and even changed the style of writing altogether from one book to the next. So keeping that in mind, the movies are also not the same.

One of the biggest things people have approached me with lately have been the amount of CGI that was used in The Hobbit. The fact that the orcs were CGI, and just the fact that a lot of it was computer generated seemed to have some friends concerned. I do not want to spoil anything, but I would like to point out that it is not all CGI. Even the orcs, there were some real actors involved. But yes, there was quite the increased use of CGI, and it did show, but I don't think it takes away from the story. It's merely just there.

Friends have also asked me if I think the higher frame rate would hurt or help the film. Again, because this is the first film in history to use this frame rate I had nothing to compare it to and therefore chose to reserve judgement. I will be honest, the first five minutes it did throw me off a little bit simply because that's something that no one is really used to. The picture is much clearer, and cleaner. I know it's hard to believe but it's not a joke. I find there were moments in the film that I found the frame rate a little distracting and again, I'm not sure if it's because of the quality of the movie or simply the fact that it's such a new concept that it was drawing my focus.

People also questioned how they would switch from the actor used in LotR as Bilbo, to the one used in the Hobbit. Once again, I'm not here to give anything away. They did not simply switch the actors, they tied it all in rather nicely and I was impressed with how it was done.

Now to move onto the geekier side of the films and to the real good bits, let's talk about the music!

When the original trailer came out last year, I jumped on the song "Misty Mountains" that the dwarves sang in the trailer. I became enthralled by it. As a school project I actually did an arrangement of the piece. Lets just say I became glued to this piece, I let it sink into me and take root and I loved every bit of it. Turns out my musical hero, Howard Shore, thought the same thing!

Ladies and gentlemen, just like the theme of the fellowship in LotR, "Misty Mountains" I'd the theme of the dwarf company in the Hobbit! I'm thrilled! Hearing that piece intertwine throughout the film on a wide range of brass instruments adds to the magestic nature of the plot! It was glorious and it made me all warm and fuzzy on the inside. Such a great choice!

There is of course the return of some very beloved themes from LotR and any themes that were assigned to a race or location have made a return in those similar context. There is also the addition of some beautiful and quirky new themes to accompany the new places, people, and races that are bein introduced to us on screen for the first time.

I do plan on seeing this film again in theaters, and hopefully soon while it is fresh in my mind. I would like to see it in a lower frame rate and without the 3D just to contrast and compare quality and see if it adds or takes anything away. When I do this, I hope to write a follow up review that compares the technical side in just a little more detail.

If you have any questions that you want me to try and answer just let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment