Pages

Monday, December 17, 2012

Take Two - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Hey guys, so in my last post I said that I would see about going to see a different version of The Hobbit in theaters to try and compare it and get a second opinion on the film.

Like many of my friends know, I've been a Middle-Earth buff since I was in the 6th grade and taught myself elvish. So for me, I really didn't want to walk out of the theater not liking these films.

Well, I now saw the 2D version at the higher frame rate and I'm here to say, my original problems with the visuals had nothing to do with the higher frame rate! It was because of the 3D! You have no idea how happy I was to be able to say that! I was honestly scared that the film had been made really crappy and blurry, and I was concerned to be honest. The fact that it was all alright outside of 3D just tells me that perhaps it's the 3D element that is a little off.

With that being said, most of us take these movies home and we don't watch them in 3D (although I'm sure there are exceptions) so for the most part, this little mishap to me is overlook-able and therefore I have re-judged what I thought of the film.

While many things are out of order from the books, or were embellished using other Tolkien material, it is creating a good story, although perhaps confusing to people who were expecting it to be just like the book (shame on you - they didn't do that for Lord of the Rings, why would they do it for The Hobbit!!)

Needless to say, if you find some things in the movie that you have no memory of in the Hobbit, believe me when I say it's not all made up. There has been references to other Tolkien references including The Simirillion, and the Appendixes of The Lord of the Rings, which most people tend to not read (there's a lot in there - read them!!)

Honestly, much like I had to do for Lord of the Rings when it came out, you have to take it apart from the story because there are some creative liberties, but all in all it's a good film.

I wouldn't mind seeing it a third or fourth time, and I know for certain I will be buying the film when it comes out!

I think a lot of people were expecting this film to be just like The Lord of the Rings, but the books weren't made to be the same and nor are the movies. For some people I think it might take some time to get used to the films, but I promise by the time the third part comes out, everyone will have fallen in love with the first and second parts!

I promise to do a bigger review later but because it's still new in theaters I'm trying to be nice to my friends and not to give them any spoilers! You're welcome goofs!

No comments:

Post a Comment