Pages

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Oboe of a Different Kind

So as I'm sure some people know, I'm an oboist, which means I play the oboe. It's a classical instrument that plays a lot of baroque music. Not very popular today outside of accompaniment in orchestras now a days. Also, if you choose to play a piece meant for oboe you're pretty much guaranteed to be playing it with piano accompaniment.

Well it's time for something new. I had some great chats with some of my classmates tonight while we were all put at the bar, because where else would musicians hang out?

The idea of jazz oboe came up and it seems pretty interesting, a lot of my classmates seem pretty interested in hearing it and want me to give it a try, even willing to help me get better at it.

The second awesome idea was that I wanted to play something that had accompaniment other than piano, so even if that meant doing a few oboe studies/duets and having a guitarist playing the other part. Lucky me, I found someone who is willing to give it a shot. I'm looking forward to trying something new in that way. Oboe and guitar should be a pretty combination.

It's time to branch out from my comfortable circle of music and get more passionate about playing more often and trying new and more interesting styles.

I'm really looking forward to this. Should be good.

- Tay

No comments:

Post a Comment