Pages

Monday, August 6, 2012

Glengarry Highland Games - Tattoo

This past weekend was one of the greatest weekends of the year because it was the Glengarry Highland Games. It's a two day event that celebrates Scottish traditions. So many wonderful things happened that I couldn't possibly put it all in one post so there's going to be a couple.

Friday consisted of solo piping competitions, highland games as well as a tattoo.

There's nothing quite like sleeping in a tent and waking up not to an alarm, but to the first bagpipe player of the morning starting to practice and warm up. I love listening to bagpipes! Some people find them loud and annoying but honestly there's something so powerful and soulful about them.



The big part of day one is the Friday night Tattoo. Basically it's a massively huge party beyond all belief. It started with the singing of three national anthems as sky divers come down with the flags.
"Flower of Scotland"
"Oh, Canada"
"Star Spangled Banner"
But for me, the really awesome part of the night was to welcome back the band Scocha who headlined the entertainment for the weekend once again. The first time I ever went to the games was when they were performing and last year wasn't the same without them. They finally came back to play for us again for the weekend before heading back to Europe. Bless their hearts!





I hope that they come back year after year as we all love having them there. They truly know how to throw a party! Hope that they have another wonderful year of shows ahead of them wherever they play!

The night finished off with a few drinks in the beer tent with some great friends (and one pain in the butt). First time in my life I get the guts to talk to strangers and my ex decides to walk up to me chatting and embarrass the hell out of me in front of not one, but two nice gentlemen. We've made an agreement that there's no more walking up and talking with me when I'm talking to strangers anymore. Yikes!

All in all it was an incredible first day and was the best games I've been to as well! Such an amazing time!

No comments:

Post a Comment